What says December fun more than gingerbread men? If you are looking for some fun ideas for learning activities in December – this fun gingerbread pathway game is perfect!
Pathway games are an ideal way to help preschool children learn important math concepts (in a fun and engaging way)! Pathway games build your child’s (or student’s) understanding of early math concepts such as counting, comparing, and identifying numbers/colors.
Games can also improve preschoolers’ ability to plan, organize, and get along with others. In addition, you will also see that playing games will help with language skills, and may help to cope with stressful or overwhelming emotions.
If you are ready to get your little ones started on pathway games – you will love my free printables! Get yours below!
Related: 30 Gingerbread Man Printables
Using the Gingerbread Pathway Game
Your child will learn so many important skills playing this fun Gingerbread Pathway game. In addition to the skills mentioned above, you will also find that your child will be improving fine motor skills, and hand/eye coordination.
Here is how the gingerbread pathway game works:
Your child will roll the dice, count the number of dots, and move their marker ( you can use candy such as gumdrops, or another marker of your choosing) to the correct number of spaces on the board.
You will notice that I provided two versions of the board, one with smaller (and more) spaces, and one with larger. You can feel free to use one (or both!) with your child.
The player who gets to the end of the pathway first, wins!
Perhaps you could have a sweet treat for the winner?
How to Set up the Gingerbread Pathway Game
- Gingerbread Pathway Game Download
- Gumdrops (or another marker of your choosing)
- Laminator and laminating sheets (optional)
I suggest printing the gingerbread pathway game board of your choosing and laminating it for more durability. You can definitely play the game without laminating the game board, but it may not last through more than a couple of uses.
Related Post: Winter Snowman Letter Matching -Free Printable
Other Ways to Use This Gingerbread Pathway Game
Not interested in using this game as a counting game board, or are you looking for another idea? You don’t have to use this pathway game in the traditional way at all!
Here are a couple of ideas for extended use:
- Provide your child with gumdrops or other markers that match the colors on the pathway and encourage your little one to place the matching colors on the pathway board!
- Make up a story about about a gingerbread man trying to get to the gingerbread house, pretend you are walking up the path – what do you encounter?! Have fun making up the story, and “walking” along the path with your marker. For a fun extra you could make certain colors represent different encounters! (Such as the blue is water: time to swim!)
- Pretend the game is in “real life” use the board as a map or guide, and “hop” along the path to the end (maybe there is treasure?!)
Related Post: Winter Penguin Shape Match
You can be as creative as you would like and let your kiddos have fun with this gingerbread man pathway game!
I hope your little one enjoys this fun gingerbread man inspired pathway game! When playing is learning, learning is FUN!
How did you use this Gingerbread Man Pathway game with your little one?