The cold weather makes it the perfect time to do some winter learning activities with my kids! I love making printable activities that teach new skills while also being fun for them.
Since my kids have become obsessed with snowmen since well before the Christmas holidays, so this snowman letter matching activity was perfect my 2 and 3 year old!
This free printable winter activity involves matching upper and lower case letters, as well as the letter sound, to complete the snowman. Your child or student will have to find the bottom of the snowman (upper case letter), match it to the middle of the snowman (lower case letter), and then match that to the picture of the sound that the letter would make.
For example, if they find an apple hat, they will then find the upper and lower case A to complete the snowman.
It’s a perfect activity for preschoolers and even some older two year olds. My 2 year old son was able to do this activity with some assistance!
I’ve included a sample of this printable with letters A-H (download below), but if you would like the whole set up to letter Z, you can purchase them at my Teachers Pay Teachers shop here.
Related Post: Teaching Letters on a Dry Erase Board
What to Do:
- Download and print the free printable worksheets. The download will be available below.
2. Use card stock (65lb is sufficient) or laminate sheets for maximum durability. However, regular copy paper will work as well.
3. Cut out each snowman and cut on the black lines to separate the snowman into pieces.
4. The easiest way to start is to set out all of the snowmen’s heads. Have your preschooler identify the name of the item and try to determine what the first letter sound is.
5. Once they have identified the letter, tell them to search for the lower case letter and then the upper case letter. Put them together to build your snowman and move on to the next one.
Related Post: Winter Counting Clip Cards – Free Printable
What They Will Learn:
This activity will build your child’s skills in phonics (by identifying letter sounds) as well as identification and recognition of letters.
Allowing them to match the upper and lower case letters helps them to understand the different formations of each letter.
I hope you and your child enjoyed this free printable winter snowman letter matching activity. Check out some more winter activities by browsing the site.
Related Post: Free Printable Winter Coloring and Dot Sheets
Check out my Teachers Pay Teachers Shop here to purchase the whole bundle of toddler and preschool winter printable activities!