As the Thanksgiving approaches, you’re probably looking for ways to incorporate the holiday in teaching your little ones. Sometimes using festive themes like holidays can really get new concepts and ideas to stick for toddlers, preschoolers, and even older kids!
This Thanksgiving Turkey Color Matching Activity is a great way to get your young kids learning and recognizing their colors while also incorporating fine motor skills, coloring, and hand eye coordination. It’s a great activity for fall.
I am offering a free printable sample version of this activity, but the full version is available on my Teachers Pay Teachers shop here.
This activity is great for 2 – 5 year olds who need practice color matching, learning to identify colors, and fine motor skills. The circles in the feathers are perfect for younger toddlers and preschoolers who need the visual aid to guide their markings on the paper and in the circles.
What you need:
- Free printable sample version of this activity (download below) – Full version available at my shop
- Dot markers or Dot stickers (one or the other, or both)
What to do:
1. Point out each color of the feathers to your toddler or preschooler.
3. Use the version with the circles first to give them a visual guide of where to place their dots.
4. Once they’ve understood that concept, you can use the other sheet that includes blank feathers to fill in with their dots.
You can laminate these pages to reuse them with several different students. This activity is great for home use, classroom, or classroom centers use.
What they will learn:
- Color Matching
- Identifying Colors
- Fine Motor Skills
How to incorporate more language:
As your child is learning, you want to always incorporate as much language as possible for learning and developing skills.
Always remember to talk to your little one while they’re doing an activity with words like:
- Names of colors (red, orange, yellow, etc)
- Names of objects being used (paper, crayons, dot markers stickers)
- Action words (pull, push, take off, put on, count)
- Praise words (good job, you’re doing amazing!)
I hope you enjoyed this free printable Thanksgiving activity for turkey color matching. Let me know in the comments below if you were able to use this with your toddler or preschooler and how well they did!