Winter time is finally here! Time to break out the cool weather clothing- hats, mittens, and coats, oh my. While I don’t love when the weather gets cold, the kids don’t seem to mind it at all!
They love getting bundled up and could still play outside for hours in the frigid weather! After 5 minutes I’m usually running inside to warm up.
The cool weather does bring time for us to settle in and do some fun indoor activities though. In particular, we can get our children learning new concepts and skills using the FREE PRINTABLES that I’ve been offering all season long!
This specific free printable is a winter letter matching activity that will help your child learn to match uppercase and lower case letters together. The idea that a letter has two different forms may be a little confusing to them, but once you start to show them how to match each letter, they’ll catch on quickly.
With this simple activity, you just need to download and print the sheets, cut them out, and have your toddler or preschooler match the lower case letter to the same uppercase letter. They can check to make sure they were correct by seeing if the pair of mittens made a match with the coordinating color and orientation.
The free printable that you can download is a SAMPLE of the product from my Teachers Pay Teachers shop. You can download letters A-H here, but if you would like the full version, head over to my shop to purchase it there. There is also a bundle of fun winter activities for preschoolers there as well.
What You’ll Need:
- Free Printable Mitten Letter Matching Cards (Sample to Download below)
- Card stock or laminator (optional)
- Velcro dots (optional)
What to Do:
- Download and print the file (offered below). You’ll get letters A-H with the free sample. Use card stock (65lb is sufficient) or laminating sheets for maximum durability. However, regular copy paper will work as well.
- Cut out the individual letter mittens from the last page.
- You can take this activity one step further by attaching velcro dots to each square and each letter. When your child matches it, they will have to make it adhere to the velcro.
- Cut out each mitten letter card. If you’re short on time, you can even skip this step and leave it as a whole sheet.
- Have your child match each lower case letter to it’s corresponding uppercase letter to make a matching pair of mittens.
What They Will Learn:
As your child does this activity, make sure that you’re incorporating language and phonics as well.
Tell your toddler or preschooler the sound that the letter makes and have them repeat it. You can even tell them a word that also makes this sound for them to full understand the concept.
This activity will build your child’s skills in phonics (by identifying letter sounds) as well as identification and recognition of letters.
Allowing them to match the upper and lower case letters helps them to understand the different formations of each letter.
I hope you and your child enjoyed this free printable winter snowman letter matching activity. Check out some more winter activities by browsing the site.
Related Post: Free Printable Winter Coloring and Dot Sheets
Check out my Teachers Pay Teachers Shop here to purchase the whole bundle of toddler and preschool winter printable activities!