Looking for a last-minute gift for mom but you don’t have much time or supplies? Here is a simple Mother’s Day craft you can do with your little one as a sentimental gift for any mom.
I love this idea because it serves as a memento that can be kept for years to come to help mom remember how little those hands once were.
The way you form the handprints upside down and connected actually makes a heart surrounding the “I love you.”
I included a version for both mom and grandma if you’d like to make more than one. *The version below says grams because that’s what we call my mom, however, the downloadable version says Grandma*
What you need:
- Paper (cordstock works best)
- I Love You free printable file
What to do:
2. Cut down the paper to 8×10 size. If you leave it as 8.5 x 11, the text will be off-centered.
3. Paint your child’s hand with finger paint.
4. Flip the paper upside down so the text faces away from your child.
5. Place both hands down touching at the thumb and pointer (depending on the hand size) to form a heart surrounding the words I Love You. Make sure you have the pointer fingers touching because as you can see in the picture below, we messed up this one and it didn’t form a heart. However, you can always add some brush strokes to make the shape.
If you have more than one child, you can do the largest hands first and keep adding smaller hands on top of it with different colors. Be sure to let it dry between each hand print.
6. Write any other message on it that you’d like. You can include your child’s name or a special message to mom.
7. Frame or laminate to make it last longer and give as a gift to the special woman in your life.
I hope you and your children and all the moms out there enjoy this Mother’s Day Craft and can keep it for years to come!